Cake stands are something I have a love hate relationship with. I find them really rather beautiful; they make me believe I’m living in a gentler time where everyone stopped for tea instead of everyone stopped to photograph their food. (Guilty as charged). But they’re not all very good. I have one that’s mighty pretty but the dome is so squat only a torte can safely nestle underneath it.
Solavia have made this cake stand and it’s a breath of fresh air. It actually fits a whole cake under it. Scrap that, it fits a layer cake complete with icing underneath it. And it’s big too, so you can bust out your largest cake tins without fear of finding your cake homeless, with thighs too large for a cake stand home.
The glass itself is not hugely thick. I did worry the first time I washed the stand that it would shatter, but despite knocking it twice against the sink, it survived and just made a pleasing sound instead. It now sits atop my book shelf in the kitchen waiting for the next cakey outing, looking like the mummy cake stand, next to the baby one I used to use, which is now slightly redundant.
My only negative would be that the centre of the stand is slightly raised – the bit where the base attaches to the platter bit, clearly where the glass bits meet each other. Now I am not a perfectionist (contrary to popular belief) but for some cakes where you are trying to ensure everything is at a perfect angle, this might upset you. I don’t think you can tell once all the icing is on top, but wanted to mention it, as these reviews are always honest.
Since I was sent the cake stand you can now have it engraved. What a lovely present for the baker in your life! Or for yourself. I might have to treat myself for Christmas. A girl can never have too many cake stands after all.
I have 1 x Solavia cake stand to giveaway worth £42.50 (RRP) each to giveaway to one person. There are lots of ways to enter – see the Rafflecopter form below. The first way is just to leave a comment on this post. Easy peasy. Closing date 18th November 2016. How to enter:
- Complete the Rafflecopter form below to confirm your entries made via blog comments, Twitter, Facebook etc.
- This giveaway will close on 18th November 2016.
- Please read the rules below.
- Winners are announced on the Rafflecopter form after the prize has been claimed by the winner.
- First timers: Please watch how Rafflecopter works (video)! It is 46 seconds long. It explains everything.
- If no form is showing, hit refresh and it should appear.
- Complete the form – or your beloved entries will not go into the draw. And that would be such a waste of time.
- Mandatory entries need to be completed first – so leave a blog comment before you try and complete any of the other methods of entry.
- Want more chances to win? Come back daily after tweeting about the giveaway and fill the form in again.
- If you are viewing this by email you will need to click through to enter.
Rules and things:
- Open to anyone over the age of 18, UK mainland and NI only. Sorry to anyone younger or further afield.
- There’s 1 x Solavia cake stand RRP £42.50 to giveaway to one person. There’s no cash alternative to the prize and the prize is not transferable. No part or parts of the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions.
- Instructions form part of the terms and conditions. Entries using any software or automated process to make bulk entries will obviously be disqualified. The winner will be picked at random using software and then contacted by email. If you win and then don’t respond to this email within 7 days then another winner will be picked so check your emails and your spam! The goodies will be delivered to the winner as soon as possible after you have sent me your delivery address.
- I am running this giveaway on behalf of Solavia who will be responsible for sending the prize to you by post should you win. Their decision is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
- This is where I get all stern – please don’t say you have liked the post and followed me on Twitter and Tweeted away like a Tweety thing if you haven’t as guess what? If you win I will check you did do the things you said you did. It’s only fair after all. And I do like fairness.
Get the monthly newsletter...
and subscribe to get all recipes straight to your inbox!