Sweetcorn fritters? Yes! These are not just for babies. These are not just the territory of small dictators without many teeth. (What, you mean your baby/toddler doesn’t shout unidentifiable instructions at you every mealtime? Well, you’re lucky).
I made these sweetcorn fritters because they’re a nifty way of shoe horning more vegetables into the smaller people in the household without them feeling they’re being forced to partake in one of Mummy’s health kick massaged kale salads. Yep, my boys are pretty adventurous, but I cannot for the life of me persuade them to eat five spice massaged kale with smoked salmon. I will continue to try. I cannot be accused of giving up easily, that’s for sure.
So sweetcorn fritters are a hit with my sons, and they’re a hit with Mr Bell and I too. They’re just pretty moreish, in part because they have some squash in them. And squash always adds that earthiness to recipes that leads me craving more.
You can happily serve these little golden rays of sweetcorn fritter sunshine alone. Or alongside my pork casserole with apple. A video for both exists here and also below. I have been known to spike these sweetcorn fritters with a little chilli when making them for just the older members of the family. I find a spiced fritter and a glass of wine a most enjoyable way to kick off the evening.
Don’t forget there’s a giveaway as well for a weaning starter kit; perfect for making my pork casserole recipe with and indeed serving these sweetcorn fritters too. I have 5 starter weaning kits including an 8 piece Vital weaning kit in either pink or blue (made up of weaning spoons, a mini freezer pot stack, prep and go food pots, a tumbler and bowl with lid) along with a £20 meat voucher for Scotch Beef, Scotch Lamb and Specially Selected Pork, a Good Family Food apron, placemat and top tips magnet.
If you skip to the bottom of the blog post there are details of how to enter. The closing date is 19th April 2016.
Lots of great recipes like this in my books, Recipes from a Normal Mum, (available on Amazon, at The Works, Waterstones, WHSmith, The Book Depository and many smaller outlets) and The Power of Frozen (available through Amazon).
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 7 - 8
- 85g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 60mls milk
- A pinch of black pepper
- 120g raw butternut squash, peeled and grated
- 135g sweetcorn, (fresh/drained/frozen)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
Stir the flour, baking powder, egg, milk and black pepper to a thick paste. Add the squash and sweetcorn, stir well and set aside for 5 minutes. Meanwhile heat the oil in a large frying pan on a low heat. Transfer a heaped tablespoon of the mixture into the pan, then repeat until you have four spoonfuls gently frying, well-spaced. After 2 - 3 minutes use a slice to flip and fry each fritter on the other side for 2 - 3 more minutes. (You can squash the fritters gently to speed the process up at this point.) Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen roll, then repeat with the rest of the mixture. Serve warm as finger food with or without dips. NB: These keep in the fridge for 3 days, well wrapped. Re-heat in a preheated oven at 180C/gas mark 4 for 5 minutes before serving.
There are lots of ways to enter – see the Rafflecopter form below. The first way is just to leave a comment on this post. Easy peasy. Closing date 19th April 2016.
How to enter:
- Complete the Rafflecopter form below to confirm your entries made via blog comments, Twitter, Facebook etc.
- This giveaway will close on 19th April 2016.
- Please read the rules below.
- Winners are announced on the Rafflecopter form after the prize has been claimed by the winner.
- First timers: Please watch how Rafflecopter works (video)! It is 46 seconds long. It explains everything.
- If no form is showing, hit refresh and it should appear.
- Complete the form – or your beloved entries will not go into the draw. And that would be such a waste of time.
- Mandatory entries need to be completed first – so leave a blog comment before you try and complete any of the other methods of entry.
- Want more chances to win? Come back daily after tweeting about the giveaway and fill the form in again.
- If you are viewing this by email you will need to click through to enter.
Rules and things:
- Open to anyone over the age of 18, UK mainland only. Sorry to anyone younger or further afield.
- There are 5 weaning kits worth RRP £45 to giveaway to 5 people. There’s no cash alternative to the prize and the prize is not transferable. No part or parts of the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions.
- Instructions form part of the terms and conditions. Entries using any software or automated process to make bulk entries will obviously be disqualified. The winner will be picked at random using software and then contacted by email. If you win and then don’t respond to this email within 7 days then another winner will be picked so check your emails and your spam! The goodies will be delivered to the winner as soon as possible after you have sent me your delivery address.
- I am running this giveaway on behalf of QMS who will be responsible for sending the prize to you by post should you win. Their decision is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
- This is where I get all stern – please don’t say you have liked the post and followed me on Twitter and Tweeted away like a Tweety thing if you haven’t as guess what? If you win I will check you did do the things you said you did. It’s only fair after all. And I do like fairness.
This post was supported by QMS.
Get the monthly newsletter...
and subscribe to get all recipes straight to your inbox!