I like Lorraine Pascale. Okay, I’ve never met her and we’re not friends (though Lorraine, I am totally open to cocktails some time in London or even Leicester if you fancy a little jaunt on the Midland Mainline) but I think we could be. She seems like a girl’s girl. The type who would never ditch you for a bloke. Oh no. Lorraine is made of better moral stuff. A proper girlfriend.
So I was very pleased to be asked to review her latest book that accompanies her TV series, How to be a Better Cook. The book isn’t a Good Housekeeping style tome with details of how to fillet a seabass or indeed make a sourdough starter. It’s a book jam packed full with recipes that you might find really rather useful. It’s hard to ignore the fact that there’s a heavy slant on the healthier end of cooking. A lot of the recipes are low carb. There’s a high proportion dedicated to meat centric dishes. This for me is a bonus as frankly I need to eat a little low carb to deal with the last of the baby weight, plus if this is the food that makes LP look so utterly stunning then bring it on.
The book is very much of the moment. There are kale crisps for example. There’s pulled pork, a fair amount of pumpkin and Moroccan influence. And there’s a bit of novelty, which always appeals to me. Meringue ghosts, spider cupcakes, mummy wrapped sausages (I am publishing a recipe for this next week! See, we’re kindred cooking spirits I tell you!) and peanut shots. I like the book but if you are expecting a lot of classic LP baking recipes then this isn’t for you. It’s majority savoury. It’s food to eat every day, not just on high days and holidays.
Lorraine’s books are always strewn with motivational quotes. I follow her on Instagram and there’s a definite vulnerability to her. I don’t feel she posts these quotes for her followers, more for herself. A little reminder if you will. I like the quotes but I know some people won’t. They’re marmite in that way. Photo wise the shots are very crisp, very clear and almost masculine in the colour palette chosen for backgrounds. It’s not the Jamie Oliver style we’ve all become very accustomed to of late. There isn’t a lot of crumbs thrown casually across the table, there’s no messy chocolate shards lying in wait on the bench. The shots have been styled. They’re grown up.
All in all? A beautiful book that is genuinely useful. I like.
I have 3 signed copies of Lorraine Pascale’s How to be a Better Cook worth £25 (RRP) each to giveaway to three person. There are lots of ways to enter – see the Rafflecopter form below. The first way is just to leave a comment on this post. Easy peasy. Closing date 12th December 2014. How to enter:
- Complete the Rafflecopter form below to confirm your entries made via blog comments, Twitter, Facebook etc.
- This giveaway will close on 12th December 2014.
- Please read the rules below.
- Winners are announced on the Rafflecopter form after the prize has been claimed by the winner.
- First timers: Please watch how Rafflecopter works (video)! It is 46 seconds long. It explains everything.
- If no form is showing, hit refresh and it should appear.
- Complete the form – or your beloved entries will not go into the draw. And that would be such a waste of time.
- Mandatory entries need to be completed first – so leave a blog comment before you try and complete any of the other methods of entry.
- Want more chances to win? Come back daily after tweeting about the giveaway and fill the form in again.
- If you are viewing this by email you will need to click through to enter.
Rules and things:
- Open to anyone over the age of 18, all of Europe. Sorry to anyone younger or further afield.
- There is 3 x signed copies of LP’s How to be a Better Cook RRP £25 to giveaway to three people. There’s no cash alternative to the prize and the prize is not transferable. No part or parts of the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions.
- Instructions form part of the terms and conditions. Entries using any software or automated process to make bulk entries will obviously be disqualified. The winner will be picked at random using software and then contacted by email. If you win and then don’t respond to this email within 7 days then another winner will be picked so check your emails and your spam! The goodies will be delivered to the winner as soon as possible after you have sent me your delivery address.
- I am running this giveaway on behalf of Harper Collins who will be responsible for sending the prize to you by post should you win. Their decision is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
- This is where I get all stern – please don’t say you have liked the post and followed me on Twitter and Tweeted away like a Tweety thing if you haven’t as guess what? If you win I will check you did do the things you said you did. It’s only fair after all. And I do like fairness.
Get the monthly newsletter...
and subscribe to get all recipes straight to your inbox!
Great giveaway xx
I’ve watched her tv show and would love to win her book so that I can try her recipes.
I love trying out new recipes from new cookery books x
plenty of good recipes there
quick and easy is just what I need after work, when inspiration fails me
Love her programmes, this would defo come in handy
I like watching her on UK food (I think that’s the right channel) she makes it look relaxed and easy.
I love Lorraine’s recipes, this would be a wonderful prize!
Love cooking, love books, love eating.
I love watching her programmes on TV, and have always wanted one of her books
Love Lorraine’s cooking, she was on this morning yesterday and her food looked amazing :) x
Love Lorraine, have tried a few of her recipes and they’ve all been a success!
I love Lorraine’s recipes, this would be a wonderful prize!
I could definitely do with some help in this department!
would love this for my teenage son 2 try n get him cooking more
Great prize love watching her show
Boy do I need this book, my lads won’t eat my food so I don’t cook that often! I love watching Lorraine make food, she makes it look so easy
Great for a Xmas present
me and my hubby love watching her shows and i love cooking so would be brill to read her book and learn more :) fingers crossed
Fingers crossed! :)
Great prize, would love to get into cooking
I seem to stick with the same old stuff, need some new recipes.
My wife is a great cook but I cant make a tin of beans!
Would love one of Lorraine’s books.
I do like way Lorraine cooks she keeps it simple
I need this book. I try my hardest to cook but I am so rubbish at it!
Lorraine makes things look achievable – FAB! ;-)
I have two of her other books she is great :-)
I need all the help I can get
I love her TV show :)
Good luck everyone
Love her TV programmes, book would be fantastic
i need to learn this! pick me :)
Count me in! :)
again wonderful prize and a wonderful blog so glad i came across it :)
yes please x
I neeeeed this book
love to win this fab giveaway
My wife collects cook books, this would be great for under the tree.
My hubby would REALLY like me to win this lol :D
I’s love to learn how to be a better cook!
Would love this book
Great competition, fingers crossed!
Fab prize xx
Would love this
I’d love to win this
I’d love this x
this book looks like a great gift – but I’d probably keep it myself if I won it ;)
fab prize my bro would love this
great giveaway, thankyou
I need to learn to be a better cook!
Great Giveaway – Thanks!
A super Christmas present
cooking the books lol
I think I need this!
Lovely prize, the TV show is fab :-)
I would personally love this for myself, consider it an early birthday or Xmas pressie
Would love this for my dad
Great comp x
would love this
This book looks amazing x
i really like lorraine as she makes things which dont have a million ingredients in
My son in law would love this
pick me pick me pick me
Am sat here reading your blog and it’s like you are reading my Xmas list, lol. Along with your book your lat 2 book giveaways are on my Xmas list. Would be lovely to win xxx
She has some really yummy recipes :-)
This would be brilliant for my newly married daughter.
love her books
Love to become a better cook :-)
I could def use this! xx
Lots of super recipes
some of the recipes sound fun!
Sounds like a really great book
Definitely need this!
This book sounds great!
yummy recipes :)
Sounds like a fantastic book
awesome prize thank you for opportunity
love trying new recipes
I love her recipes. Simple and delicious!!
Would love some new ideas to get out of rut
looks a fab book
This sounds like the cookbook for me, practical and nothing too fancy!
Such an awesome giveaway!=)
Good luck, peepz!
Wonderful competition, always looking for new recipes and ideas to improve my cooking
I’m a big fan of Lorraine Pascale. Her food looks so good.
I would love to win her cookbook. She always seems so pleasant and practical, she might help me cook properly.
looks good for my bad cooking skills
I love her TV programmes. Would love to win the book and try out her recipes.
what a fantastic prize
This would be a great win for me to improve on my cooking skills ;-)
should be full of great recipes, so fingers crossed
I would love to win one.
I love the sound of this book.
I think Lorraine is a really talented cook; sweet, savoury, fine dining and comfort food, she’s able to cover it all. xx
I wonder how much she is still involved in what used to be Ella’s bakehouse? She does seem like a lovely lady.
Fingers Crossed I get lucky, Thanks for the giveaway
so need this in my life!
I have her other books, would love this one!
l love Lorraine :D
another great giveaway
Would love to read Lorraine’s cookbook xxx
Thank you – I love watching Lorraine Pascale on tv!
Comments are closed.