So maybe I’m not the right person to review cookbooks. I love cookbooks. Almost all of them. Even the ones I’ve never cooked from. I just adore the promise of a more fulfilling life through a larger repertoire of recipes. So being all hard on a cookbook and critical, well, I don’t think I can do it to be honest. I will try though. Here goes.
Mostly I read the new favourite recipe book in my bed, through half closed eyes, and then retire it to my cookery book shelf, to be dipped into as bedtime reading fodder once the first outing has been forgotten. It’s quite unusual for me to cook from a new recipe book straight off. I have to live with them for a bit… kind of get comfortable with them before I let them loose in the kitchen.
Well, Aggie’s Family Cookbook has set a new record. I received it about a week ago from the lovely people at Anova Books (ta muchly) and there’s currently a banana loaf in the oven, making my house smell like an estate agent’s dream. What else can I tell you about this book? Well if you’re not into the Scottish accent then don’t buy it, as I swear Aggie herself read this to me in bed; so strong is her voice throughout this collection of family recipes. I liked her tone very much; working Mum feeds her family with a good dose of Good Housekeeping Institute common sense thrown in.
Would I buy it? Yes. Would I buy it as a gift? Yes. For Mums and also for folks on the brink of leaving home. Does it make me feel all sexy and Nigella-esque? No. But it does make my house smell mighty fine.
If you would like to win £20 worth of recipes and good sense then you can!
How to enter:
- Complete the Rafflecopter form below to confirm your entries made via blog comments, Twitter, Facebook etc.
- This giveaway will close on Saturday 10th December.
- Please read the rules below.
- Winners are announced on the Rafflecopter form after the prize has been claimed by the winner.
- First timers: Please watch how Rafflecopter works (video)! It is 46 seconds long. It explains everything.
- If no form is showing, hit refresh and it should appear.
- Complete the form – or your beloved entries will not go into the draw. And that would be such a waste of time.
- Mandatory entries need to be completed first – so leave a blog comment before you try and complete any of the other methods of entry.
- Want more chances to win? Come back daily after tweeting about the giveaway and fill the form in again.
- If you are viewing this by email you will need to click through to enter.
Rules and things:
- Only open to UK participants over the age of 18. Sorry to anyone from further afield or younger readers.
- There’s only one prize and that’s Aggie’s Family Cookbook you can see in the picture. There’s no cash alternative to the prize and the prize is not transferable. No part or parts of the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions.
- Instructions form part of the terms and conditions. Entries using any software or automated process to make bulk entries will obviously be disqualified. The winner will be picked at random using software and then contacted by email. If you win and then don’t respond to this email within 7 days then another winner will be picked so check your emails and your spam! The goodies will be delivered to the winner as soon as possible after you have sent me your delivery address.
- I am running this giveaway on behalf of Anova who will be responsible for sending the prize to you if you win, which is very kind of them as it saves me queuing up at the Post Office. Their decision is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into. So there.
- This is where I get all stern – please don’t say you have liked the post and followed me on Twitter and Tweeted away like a Tweety thing if you haven’t as guess what? If you win I will check you did do the things you said you did. It’s only fair after all. And I do like fairness.
Good luck everyone!
Get the monthly newsletter...
and subscribe to get all recipes straight to your inbox!